Thursday 18 May 2017

#YesIAmAStayAtHomeMom

Yes!! I am a double graduate Computer Science student, having 6 years of corporate experience, having all the efficiency and eligibility to work and I am a Stay At Home Mom!! By my own choice.. Not because my family forced me, not because I don't have that Career drive or simply not because no company will hire me.. But just because I want it this way!!

I want to give this precious time to my baby.. Looking after her, making her smile, cuddle her, laugh with her, crawl with her.. Learn new things with her, play with her.. But above all I want to grow up as a Mother with her!! I don't want to have some dedicated hours and days of week to be there with her!! I want to see her take first step, hear her first word, soothe her when she cries.. I want to see her running behind a kitty for hours.. I want to watch her asleep.. I want to give her my best when I still can!!

"Oh dear, why are you wasting your time sitting at home and running behind your child all day" when I hear such statements it hurts me not because they have a shitty tone to it but because they don't understand that they are ridiculing all the efforts by a Mother put in a child by "Wasting" her time running behind him, probably of their own mother also..

"Your education is such a waste if you are not earning" I mean seriously?? Don't you think educated parents will help to cultivate a better generation.. Can't I use my education to make wiser choices for my child. In anyway how can any type of learning is wasteful, it is beyond my understanding..

"Are handling career and house is not your cup of tea." "You won't understand what efforts it takes to handle both office and home".. This and that.. So many of such statements I hear almost everyday. I know it takes a bigger deal and coping to manage all these things.. I have a huge huge respect for all those girls who manage them well.. Kudos!!

But the problem lies with people who try to put me in that segment. For them, I must work, I must earn, I must not waste my education and experience just "Sitting" at home. But the point is guys I want it this way!! I don't want to be that supermom, I just want to "Sit" at home and relax. Any problem??

So then people start judging you. I never knew so many of my acquaintances are concerned about my future. "So when your child starts going to school and outgrows your lap what are you going to do?? You will have that middle age  depression." WHAT??
And what the solution is "Start working somewhere.." :-) Dude my baby is just 10 months as of now and there is hell lot of time and ways to avoid that Middle Age Depression.. (What does that mean by the way??)

Why o why?? I am surrounded by such concerned people. Anyhow, I am tired of justifying my decision to people. Apparently I want to stay back at home for my child for some time is not a reason enough for them. And some of the working friends of mine, they treat me as if I don't exist. I don't have any struggle, I don't have any problems.. For them my life is well settled.. (Ironically when they say it I know they envy me) ;-)

But all said and done.. I am a stay at home mom and I am loving every bit of it!! It is not a sacrifice or something; it is just a basic need. And that too, it's not my baby's need; it is the mother in me who needs it badly!! So she is going to get that!!

I want to seize the day!! My child is going to be this small just for a while!! Kal ki kal dekhenge!! :-)

© Swati Atre

No comments:

Post a Comment